Next week a record number of people will be travelling on America’s roadways for Independence Day vacations. According to AAA, a new record will be set with 41.4 million Americans traveling by automobile this Independence Day.
Travel numbers are up this year for several reasons. Lower gas prices have more people making road trip plans and a robust economy has greater numbers of Americans planning vacations across the United States.
When making your plans for your Independence Day holiday or other summer travel, make sure your vehicle is safe and ready for the road. Start with this check list:
- Test your battery
- Check your lights to make sure all are working
- Make sure wiper blades are in good shape
- Check fluid levels
- Check the pressure on all tires including your spare
- Pack roadside emergency items like jumper cables and travel compressor
Other ideas for planning a smoother trip include:
- Make sure your maps are up-to-date – whether paper or GPS
- Download an app like GasBuddyto make sure you find the best gas prices
- Check out the Wazeapp for real-time traffic info
- Pack snacks and drinks for the car to save time and money
- Plan your route and stops before you leave
- Bring along a cell phone charger with a car adaptor
Where ever you are planning to go, have fun and have a safe trip!