This week’s topic features another simple check you can perform to better understand your car maintenance. Oil checks are a simple maintenance step you can do in your own garage in just a few easy steps.
Oil is vital to the proper functioning of your vehicle. It is important to know that your car has enough and that it is in good condition.
The function of oil is to reduce friction in your engine and keep it running smoothly. It is a good idea to check your vehicle’s oil once a month to be sure you have the proper amount and that it is not too dirty to be effective.
- Park your vehicle on a level area and wait for about 15 minutes for the engine to cool
- Pop the hood and locate the dipstick, usually located next to the engine
- Remove the dipstick and wipe it off on a clean, dust-free rag
- Insert the clean dipstick back into the pipe
- Remove the dipstick again and look at the oil on the end of the stick
- If the oil does not reach the second or “full” indication line, you need oil
- Note the condition of the oil, making sure it is not dirty; if it is dirty, you need an oil change
- Once your check is finished, simply return the dipstick to its spot in the pipe
When you do need to add oil, make sure it is a good quality oil that is right for your vehicle. Your trusted auto service professional can help you determine the best product for your engine.